The Monterey Bay Iris Society was established in 1975 and been active continuously since its inception. Some members have been growing and hybridizing irises for fifty years.
The Monterey Bay Iris Society was created to spread the appreciation of the irises in the Monterey Bay Area. The Society operates within Region 14 of the American Iris Society.
Region 14, which includes northern California, Nevada and Hawaii, is a nonprofit mutual benefit corporation whose sole purpose is promoting the culture and improvement of the genus Iris.
The objectives of Region 14 are:
- Develop the science of horticulture and any activities related to the study, propagation, improvement and culture of the genus iris
- Stimulate and foster interest in horticultureal pursuits
- Conservation and protection of these plants
- Encouragement and support of scientific research
- Investigation and conservation of the genus Iris in the wild
- Collection, compilation and publication of data concerning the history, classification, breeding and culture of irises
- Education of the public through exhibitions, display gardens, and publications
The American Iris Society exists for the sole purpose of promoting the culture and improvement of the Iris.